Categories span across different art forms and are supported by professionals in the creative industries in Nottingham. Dance4 and Nottingham City Care Partnership co-sponsor the dance category of the Young Creative Awards (YCA).
YCA is a great opportunity for young dancers and dance groups to share their creative skills and the Dance category award winner will benefit from building links with industry professionals, raise their profile in Nottingham and win prizes.
In order to be eligible to enter the competition, you must either live, work, study or create dance activity in Nottingham. A full list of eligible City areas is available here.
New for 2021
This year’s YCA celebrations will be in digital form, therefore, there is an opportunity for applicants to create work with a dance for camera focus, whereby work is created specifically to be experienced on film.
Applicants are still welcome to submit work that does not have this focus, but all submitted footage should show the dancer(s) and choreography clearly. Entries are welcome from individuals or groups and work can be submitted based on dance technique or choreography.
Applicants and groups must identify themselves as one or more of the following:
Your application should demonstrate you dancing in your own or another choreographer’s work.
You should submit work which you have created on yourself and/or on other dancers.
Your application should evidence your work with other dancers/dance professionals and/or your leadership work in dance.
One person should apply on behalf of a group entry. A group leader can apply for the group but must identify the young people’s involvement and where possible involve them in the application process. Group applications should identify themselves in the age category which reflects most of the group members’ ages. Group applications should demonstrate group performances or choreography where each group member has contributed to the overall content.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Complete the online application form, and in the 300-word statement explaining the following:
– Why you have entered the awards
– What is your/your group’s role within the dance activity
– How the dance activity has developed your skills (dance and other skills)
2. Enter into one of these three age brackets (awards will be given in each)
– 11 – 15-year-olds
3. Submit the work that you would like the panel to focus on. Please enter details in the Other Information box on the application form.
4. Submit supporting evidence about your work, one or more of the following:
– Video links of rehearsal or performance footage with any passwords needed
– Videos of yourself talking, describing your dance work
– Links to websites featuring your work
The more evidence you send the more the panel will know about you. Please ensure you put web links and passwords in the Other Information box of the application form.
When applying, please read all the information carefully first, and ensure that you meet the criteria.
DEADLINE: Wednesday 21 April 2021